Decorate your home without breaking the bank. Here are easy ways to personalize your home and tips I’ve learned from my team.
1) Try throwing some color around. It allows your home to be more inviting and reflect your personal taste. Try not to get sucked into having your entire living room beige or white. By adding a little color, like blue accents, colorful throw pillows, or some red decorative art, it allows the living room to become more inviting and personalized for you. You’re the one living in your space. You want it to reflect what you love best about the room.
Remember: Mix, don’t match! Is your favorite color green? Don’t make all the throw pillows the same. Try different hues of green, or pair it with blue to have some contrast. If you want your entire living room furniture to be white and black, paint one adjacent wall a deep red. This will add some variety to the space!
2) Go to New Heights. Allow decorative accents, like vases to vary in size. Don’t put them all in a straight line either. Sometimes it’s okay to cluster them together. It allows it to be more appealing to the eye, and offers more room on your fireplace mantle or sofa table.
3) Rearrange your furniture. This tends to be the easiest, cost effective way to make your house feel more like your home. Don’t push all your furniture against the walls. Instead, rearrange the furniture into conversational groups to allow the room to become more inviting. If your sofa is in the middle of your living room and you don’t want people to see the back of it, put a nice sofa table behind it with a lamp. You’ll be amazed at how different your space looks by simply moving a sofa, table or dresser. It will allow the room to feel larger, and fresher
4) Freshen up the linens. This is the easiest way to feel more comfortable in your bedroom. Give curtains, sheets, pillows and bedding a new look by adding ribbons, borders, and pompoms. You can purchase in-expensive fabric at your local Joann’s or Michaels store, or any local fabric store. If you are looking for more elaborate designs, check out upholstery shops in your area, or your local Ethan Allen. (They also offer FREE Design Consultations with a purchase.)
5) Mirrors are all the rage. Add oversized mirrors to your space, like above your fireplace. Mirrors open up your space and enhance the room’s natural lighting. You can’t go wrong with adding several mirrors either. Remember, odd numbers are important!
6) Pull out the photo albums. Dust off old photos and display them proudly in your home! Not only will you be able to reminisce, laugh a little, and allow your room to be more inviting and calming. Create a gallery by displaying photos on book shelves, book cases, tables, dresses, and desks. If you’re hanging them on a wall, create a fun cluster using different shapes and sizes of frames.
Your Local Real Estate Agent,